Cookies for breakfast?
Sometimes you have every intention of sticking to the healthy oatmeal for breakfast mindset, but after a while you may need to spice things up a bit. Not only are this healthy oatmeal breakfast cookie a great alternative, but because it’s made in advance they are a quick option for those rushed mornings.
Yes there are chocolate chips in them, but if you are concerned about sugar, they can be replaced (raisins, dark chocolate, etc.) or eliminated completely. There is already so much sweetness from the bananas that they are not necessary, but we all deserve a treat every now and again!
Try to use bananas that are super ripe. If you do not have any they will still mash up, but they are much sweeter the more ripe they are. At my local supermarket I could not find toasted wheat germ so I put the ¼ cup in a pan on the stove over medium heat. Took several minutes for it to toast, but it was quite easy. A good shake of the pan will help to get all sides toasted. I also could not find chopped walnuts (what is this World coming to???), so I ran halved walnuts for a few spins through the food processor.
|3 1/2||tablespoons coconut oil, melted|
|2||large eggs, beaten|
|3/4||teaspoon vanilla extract|
|1/2||cup banana puree (details in post – roughly 2 bananas)|
|3/4||cup old fashioned oats|
|1 1/4||cups instant oats|
|1/4||cup toasted wheat germ (details in post for toasting wheat germ if you can not find it already toasted)|
|1/2||cup walnuts, chopped|
|1/4||cup mini-chocolate chips (optional)|
1. In a mixing bowl whisk together honey and melted coconut oil. Whisk in eggs, vanilla and pureed banana.
2. Mix in all dry ingredients by folding the dry ingredients into the wet ones.
3. Chill covered bowl in freezer for 30 min. If you do not have room in the freezer for it, you can chill in the refrigerator, but it will take 90 minutes.
4. After they the mix is chilled, preheat oven to 325F (162C) and scoop a heaping tablespoon into your hand and roll like a ball. I am particular about my measurements so I weigh mix and then divide by 12. This is how much each ball should weigh.
5. Place the ball on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and flatten down so it gets a shape of a cookie with a thickness of ¼ inch.
6. Bake for 18 minutes
7. Maintain self-control and do not eat them all!
Leave A Comment